OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware SD card instructions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

@cpaine:

In folder osFirmwareUpdater/windows I see file osFirmwareUpdater.exe.
    But when I plug in the OS to USB, the updater does not run.

Your description sounded like you’ve never clicked on osFirmwareUpdater.exe. Can you double click on that executable file? The updater GUI will NOT automatically pop up when you insert the device, you have to double click on it to Run it.

TechFan
    Participant

@cpaine wrote:

Desktop folder “Equipment, manuals, etc”, subfolder “OpenSprinkler”. When the download has finished, the file is 39,248 KB.

Can you try a simpler path. . .move the folder to c: and name it something without spaces and commas.

cpaine

To Ray’s question and suggestion: Yes, I have tried doubleclicking the .exe file. Doing so opens a dialog box with options Extract All, Run, Cancel: If I do “Extract All:, it tells me that all the files already exist (and they do). “Run” opens the User Account Control dialog, so I know something is happening; but when I hit Allow, the file closes immediately. This is the case whether OS has been just plugged in and is still showing “connecting…”, has been plugged in long enough to be showing “MC_________________”, or whether I held down B2 for less than 2 seconds and the display is showing “Reset all?”

To TechFan’s suggestion: I removed all old copies of the .zip file, then downloaded a fresh copy to Desktop and renamed it osUpdate.zip. The osFirmwareUpdater file I cannot rename (not an option under Properties). Doubleclicking the osFirmwareUpdater.exe file has the same effect described above; i.r., Run opens User Account Control, but the file closes immediately when allowed to run.

Samer
    Keymaster

This is a different suggestion all together. Update the device manually. Here is how:

1) Install avrdude, guide here: http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/setup-win.html

2) Download the following firmware (2.0.9): https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler/master/OpenSprinkler%20Controller/software/osFirmwareUpdater/Firmware/OpenSprinkler_v2.0/firmware2.0.9.hex

3) In the command prompt (the last step in that guide), put the following:

cd C:Downloads

Replace “Downloads” with the path to the firmware file you downloaded in the previous step.

4) Finally, flash the OpenSprinkler hardware 2.0 with this command:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m644 -F -U flash:w:firmware2.0.9.hex

TechFan
    Participant

Are you trying to run the version still in the zip file? Or the completely extracted one.

cpaine

I don’t know if this will answer your question, but…
    When I download the osFirmwareUpdater.zip file, it initally shows as a compressed file or folder (not sure which).
    When I double click that, it immediately changes to a normal file, with four contents: two folders, named _MACOSX and osFirmwareUpdater, and two zero-size file named _MACOSX and osFirmwareUpdater, and two zero-size file named. Yes, the same names as the folders.
    The osFirmwareUpdater folder contains a folder named windows, which contains a file named osFirmwareUpdater.exe and several other files and folders. Doubleclicking on the osFirmwareUpdater.exe file, it offers options to Extract All or Run. Selecting Extract All, it tells me that the two zero-size files I named above exist, but no other files are generated. Selecting Run has the effect I described before: the .exe file closes immediately.

TechFan
    Participant

It indeed sounds like you are potentially trying to run the updater inside the zip. . .

Ray
    Keymaster

@cpaine: Windows has a built-in zip tool which shows the content of a zip file as if they were in a normal folder. But it’s not. You need to unzip the file, and extract the content into a local folder first. Especially if the zip contains an executable, you can’t run it directly in the zip file.

There are many ways to unzip a zip file: you can right click on the .zip file and select ‘Extract’; or you can double click on the zip file and drag and drop the osFirmwareUpdater folder onto your desktop. I actually recommend using a third-party tool like 7-zip because Windows’s build-in zip tool is very primitive and can’t even handle .rar, .7z files, or large zip files. It’s a pretty crappy tool.

Anyways, once you have unzipped the content, go to the osFirmwareUpdater folder -> windows subfolder, and double click on osFirmwareUpdater.exe.

cpaine

OK, thanks to both Ray and Techfan; the unzipping (or failure thereof) was the problem. The Windows unzipper was simply unable to handle these files. 7-zip did fine. Its updated and running the js files from the SD card now.

TechFan
    Participant

Glad to hear it is working

cpaine

I’m no longer able to find the “Using the SD card for UI assets” page, with the UI.zip and UI_old.zip files and instructions for hosting the javascript files on SD card. The link http://support.opensprinkler.com/support/solutions/articles/5000011026-using-the-sd-card-for-ui given by salbahra on 8 Sept returns a Not Found error. Has this been moved, or is there a problem? Thanks.

Samer
    Keymaster

Freshdesk gave me issues with the domain, I apologize. Try this: https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000011026-using-the-sd-card-for-ui

I updated my initial link to avoid further confusion.

Update: The old links work now as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware SD card instructions