OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Stand Alone, no router interface

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

slick
    Participant

Hi,

I thought I had posted before, but don’t see it now; if this is not appropriate for this forum, just let me know.

I have a 3.0 openSprinkler WiFi esp8266 based system and am trying to create a simple alternative front end web page to do basic programming without connection to a router or a phone App.

1) Has anyone implemented something similar? Any recommendations on where to find information about it?
    2) I’ve created HTML, converted it using html2raw, and tried to include some small javascript. Using the htmls.h strings as a response to requests seems to be limited in how long it can be, but I’m not sure what the limits are.

I know these are open ended questions; I’m just looking for some thoughts from anyone on how feasible an idea it is or what the major challenges would be.

Thank you

KSprinkler75
    Participant

Have you looked at the official OpenSprinkler App? I run it from a web server but you can just run it by opening index.html. It worked fine for me as is last week when lightning struck my cable and damaged the tap at the road. My internet was down for almost a week due to all the storm damage techs had to fix ahead of mine. I’m guessing you’ll need an ntp server running that it can access if it’s not connected to the internet.

slick
    Participant

Hi, Thanks for the comments.

I had considered it, and just played with it a bit more based on your comments. It’s nice, and does work without the router… I had no idea it would!
    However, I want to customize the interface a bit and am trying to avoid having to learn how to write a phones App on top of everything else 🙂

I suspect in your case that OS was still connected to your router, even though your internet was down, and that’s why the <ipaddress>/index worked.
    In my case (OS is in AP mode) so 192.168.4.1/index gives me WiFi configuration page. This is the page I’m trying to customize with some more advanced html/javascript.

I’ve been able to replace that page (I actually just added a different page) but am finding it difficult to give it much content. I’m having trouble understanding how big the ‘html.h’ string can be, and it seems like I can’t seem have a separate style.css file because the browser tries to request it before the full page has finished loading. This pushed me into putting everything in one big html.h string. Maybe I’m running out of flash space. When make the build I see this:

Memory usage
    Ram: 44924 bytes
    Flash: 603768 bytes

Do you or does anyone know the max flash available for use? (am I over the limit, what is the limit…)

So thank you for the comment; it led me to learn lot I didn’t know.

Ray
    Keymaster

@slick: if I understand it correctly, you want to use the controller in AP mode (without another router). This is possible. You have to either use the OpenSprinkler mobile app, or as KSprinkler75 said, download the OpenSprinkler app from github, and run its index.html. This is NOT the same as typing 192.168.4.1/index.html — the correct approach is to open the index.html in OpenSprinkler app folder.

You can of course also write your own front end interface, using the OpenSprinkler HTTP API. In fact, as I explained in this post:
    https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/useful-script-for-testing-opensprinkler-api/
    the testing script is a simple front end (not much features other than just testing a subset of the HTTP API) and you can obviously improve it significantly to make it more usable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Stand Alone, no router interface