OpenSprinkler Forums Third-Party Software Subscription/Events Support

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ggiesen
    Participant

Are there any plans to extend/supplement the REST API with a way to get events in realtime rather than having to poll the device? Maybe websockets or even a plain socket that sends updates when programs are run, weather conditions change, etc? I’d love to write a Node Server for the ISY994i for OpenSprinkler but polling for values over and over kinda sucks and doesnt really fit with the event-based model of the ISY.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ray
    Keymaster

The upcoming firmware 2.1.7 will support notifications through pushingbox (https://www.pushingbox.com/). We originally planned to add support for sending UDP packets so that it can send event notifications to a UDP server. Through it’s easy to implement in the firmware, we decided it’s not very practical because many users won’t know or won’t want to set up a UDP server.

DaveC
    Participant

This is something I requested a while back. It would make integrating with at least some automation systems, Crestron in my case, more efficient. You say it would be easy to implement in the firmware. I might want to take a crack at it over the winter. Do you have any prototype code or design notes or anything I could use to start investigating it?

Ray
    Keymaster

A few days ago I discovered it’s possible to use IFTTT with OpenSprinkler, and this is much more powerful than pushingbox because IFTTT supports a larger variety of triggers and actions, including using Amazon echo to trigger actions. I wrote a blog post here:
    https://opensprinkler.com/ifttt-with-opensprinkler-and-opengarage/
    so we will be switching from supporting pushingbox to supporting IFTTT in the firmware instead.

James
    Participant

Dave,

Have you made any progress with your Crestron Module? I was thinking of taking a crack at integrating my OpenSprinkler this winter as well.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ray, is it possible to provide a stripped down version of the the IFTTT enhancements with firmware 2.1.7 for a version 2.2 board? I am presuming from your posts that this firmware ‘extension’ will only work on hardware at 2.3….

John

DaveC
    Participant

James,

My Crestron module has been running for the entire season (using 2.1.6 FW). I have not yet looked at the 2.1.7 FW to see if it requires any changes to the module or if there are some capabilities that I want to add.

My request for event notification was to make it more efficient. Polling works OK but, unlike the mobile app or the Web GUI, the Crestron system runs 24/7. Getting some event notifications would significantly cut down on the polling activity in the Crestron system and the response to some state changes would be more timely.

James
    Participant

Would you be willing to share your module? I have a CP3 that I will be running it on, I have updated my firmware to 2.1.7. I know you said you have been running on 2.1.6, I could test it on the new firmware.

Thanks,

DaveC
    Participant

Yes, I’ll share it. Contact me directly at h2oskr2001(at)yahoo(dot)com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Third-Party Software Subscription/Events Support