Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

msadesign
    Participant

I’m wondering if the system supports two wire systems? Or multi-wire only, or?

Ray
    Keymaster

Can you provide more details on the ‘two wire’ system? I thought you mean I2C? The controller has I2C pins which will allow you to connect additional I2C devices. But I am not sure if this is what you mean by two wire system,

msadesign
    Participant

Two wire is a technology that runs a single cable containing two wires from valve to valve without a home run for each valve. Valves are activated when the controller sends a signal along the pair of wires; each valve has a sensor that recognizes a unique signal sent by the controller. If you’ve ever installed a large system with home runs for each valve this system seems like magic; it’s offered by Hunter, Toro, etc.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, I see. Yes I am aware of the two-wire valve. Unfortunately OpenSprinkler is not designed for two-wire valves. They typically require an encoder on the controller and decoder at each valve. The encoding method is probably proprietary and each manufacturer uses a different encoding method. Also, although the wiring is simpler, the cost of the controller and each decode are considerably higher. So my understanding is that it’s meant for commercial systems with a large number of stations.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.