OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Upcoming 2.3.3 app update

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Samer
    Keymaster

Hello!

I wanted to let everyone know an update is upcoming (version 2.3.3) which changes the way images are taken. Previously, the only way to attach images to stations was via the camera on Android and iOS. However, our last app update on Android (2.3.2) broke this for that platform due to an issue in the underlying Cordova plugin used. The plugin does not currently support Android SDK 33 and instead of trying to fix this for only Android the method has changed to allow any device and any browser to attach an image. This means all platforms will now allow images to be attached. On iOS, this will prompt you to select an image, use the camera or select a file. On Android, this will allow you to select an image on your device by opening the file selector however if you use a browser on Android you will get a prompt like iOS and be able to select the camera as well. The macOS app will also allow you to select an image for upload. Any browser view will now allow you to select an image, something not possible before.

This update is already released on the web and is working from my testing but welcome any feedback. If anyone would like to be added to the beta on Google Play please let me know and I would be happy to add you.

For macOS, this update also introduces a complete change to how this app works due to an underlying technology change. The Cordova platform we were using was deprecated and is no longer maintained. Following the suggested steps, we have moved to using the iOS platform and building the app as a Catalyst application. This has some major advantages including a much smoother scroll and improved performance compared to our previous macOS application. However, this does include a breaking change to how the site data is stored and it will mean your site data will be reset (something we have seen 2 years ago on iOS and more recently on Android). I apologize ahead of time for this breaking change but unfortunately it’s out of my control. I highly suggest using our cloud sync feature to make restoring your sites as easy as possible.

Finally, I want to mention our application is now a fully compliant progressive web application (PWA). This means the web version (https://app.opensprinkler.com) can be added as an application on all platforms (iOS, Android, macOS and Windows). This will use the same icon as our native applications and show a splash screen when launching into a full screen view. This method is a bit more resilient to some of the data changes we have seen over the years with Cordova and more resilient to the CORS issues documented with 2.3.2.

Thank you very much for your continued feedback to ensure we have the best possible application!

Regdone
    Participant

Hi Samer,

I had 2.3.0 in Android-Version for many time without problems, but I updated on 2.3.2 and I have any problems. At first, the settings are gone, I must renew name, IP and password and the station-pictures are gone. And I have no chance to renew the station-pictures. I go “add image”, select image from my phone “save” and at last “submit”. The App replys “Station have been update” but never had beed changed, no picture. I test it many ways with Android 11 and 12.
    I downgrade to 2.3.0, activate my backup and everything works fine. No problem, show all pictures.
    If You have fix this, I would like to test 2.3.3 and give You feedback. Can I download 2.3.3 for testing purpose? I don’t have found this version on any place.
    Thanks for Your reply!

Samer
    Keymaster

Hi Regdone,

Thank you for the feedback! Regarding version 2.3.2, were you able to restore your back using that version?

Regarding the images, this was a known issue with 2.3.2 and as mentioned in this post is mostly fixed. For Android, it will allow you to attach images that are already taken.

Regarding the beta, I just moved the beta to open pending review from Google. Once the app is approved you will be able to start using it by visiting this link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.albahra.sprinklers

Thank you again!
    Samer

Regdone
    Participant

Hi Samer,

I hope, i have understand Your questions correctly, my english isn’t very perfect.

In 2.3.2 it is not possible for me to attach pictures that I have already recorded. This is my main problem, as I wrote.
    I go to “Add image”, choose the picture from my phone, go to “Save” and finally “submit”. The app responds “Station has been updated” but nothing changes, no picture is displayed.

I use “Titanium Backup” to backup. Until version 2.3.0 it worked well. But when I updated to version 2.3.2, the restoration of the data no longer works. No station images, no data, nothing. I think you have changed the place where you save data in the app.
    No problem, I can easily renew data manually, but I can’t attach pictures. Is it possible that I make a mistake?

I very much hope that you have fixed this in version 2.3.3. It would be great, if the settings are retained after update as before.

Regdone
    Participant

I tested something and gained new insights:
    In 2.3.2, no placeholder for pictures are displayed. Therefore, the pictures are not displayed later.
    But I still have a phone with old Android 9. Here the insertion of the images in 2.3.2 works perfectly. Can it be on the Android-Version?
    2.3.0 works fine on all testet Android-versions.

Samer
    Keymaster

Ah, now I understand what you mean with the backup/restore. Thank you for letting me know!

Just to let you know 2.3.3 will still clear out settings if you are updating from 2.3.0 unfortunately as the way the webview/app works has changed in this version (same reasons explained in the first post above). However, if you are on 2.3.0, I suggests you turn on cloud sync first before upgrading as that should allow you to quickly restore your site data including images.

For the images, it will be fixed in 2.3.3 which will allow you to attach images now unlike 2.3.2.

Regarding the beta, I am still waiting for Google to review the changes but anticipate that will happen soon. Once approved the link above will allow you to sign up for the beta.

Thank you!

Regdone
    Participant

Hi Samer,

I tried something again and it will be very strange. I still have a Samsung Galaxy A51 and an A70 with the latest Android 11 and 12. Both don’t show pictures even in older versions like 2.2.1 or 2.3.0. There is no placeholder for images.
    If I would save images (“Add Image” -> select image by galery -> “Submit”) the phone says “Acces denied” and “unable to save cropped image”
    Something with the rights does not seem to be correct. Maybe we’ll get closer to the problem?

Samer
    Keymaster

Please try the latest beta which is approved and available here:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.albahra.sprinklers

Please let me know how 2.3.3 goes!

Thank you!

Regdone
    Participant

Hi Samer,

many thanks, it works fine with 2.3.3! All images are visible at all phones. Great job!
    I will continue testing, but in the moment it seems like all OK 😉

Samer
    Keymaster

That’s exciting! Thank you so much for verifying!

I will get this pushed to production soon.

Regdone
    Participant

I still found a very small failure or a missing feature in 2.3.3: the mask to choose a picture section in 2.3.2 is no longer available in 2.3.3, you have to take the picture completely now. Not a big problem, I just noticed.

Samer
    Keymaster

Ah, that’s a good point. Thank you for your bringing it to my attention. I will see if this is something I can quickly add back in a future update.

Thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Upcoming 2.3.3 app update