OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Upgrade from old 2.1 hardware

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rjalex
    Participant

As I do not reach my OpenSprinkler with a WiFi signal but with an Ethernet over Power signal, do I understand well that I’d be stuck with version 2.3?

Does 2.3 HW support the latest firmwares and upgrade them over the air?

Thank you.

Ray
    Keymaster

We’ve just released an improved version of OS 3 (the minor revision number is 3.2) that can optionally come with an Ethernet module. It’s already available on the product page:
    https://opensprinkler.com/product/opensprinkler/
    You can add wired Ethernet module to the controller.

Besides, even without the Ethernet module, you can use a pocket wifi router to allow OS 3 to interface with wired Ethernet, this is described here:
    https://rayshobby.net/docs/os30_wired_howto.pdf

OS 2.3 and 3.x are both actively supported, including firmware support. OS 2.3 does NOT support upgrade over the air. OS 3.0 or above does.

rjalex
    Participant

Thank you Ray.

I am not sure I understand your last suggestion.

OpenSprinkler is NOT reached by my WiFi signal at all, so do not understand the role of the pocket wifi router.

Ciao

Ray
    Keymaster

The last suggestion means: you connect your router to the pocket wifi router through wired Ethernet connection, then the wifi router will talk to OpenSprinkler at a close distance.

rjalex
    Participant

Aw so you mean something like this:

Internet->ADSL line->home router->Ethernet cable->Ethernet on power contraption->electric lines->Ethernet on power contraption->Ethernet cable

the above is what is already there to reach my current OS

new stuff: pocket wifi router->wifi->new wifi only OS

Of course the new pocket wifi would be connected to the last ethernet cable in the previous line 🙂

Would this be any batter than just buying a new OS with the Ethernet connector?

Thanks a lot

Ray
    Keymaster

I am just providing an option for using previous OS 3.0s with a wired cable connection to your router. I am not sure which choice is better: the new OS 3.2 with Ethernet module reduces a layer of indirection (no pocket wifi router involved), but on the other hand it’s only released like a couple weeks ago and has not been tested over a long time so we don’t know if there is any software or hardware issues that may come up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Upgrade from old 2.1 hardware