OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions USB connector type

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Oasiz37
    Participant

Hi Ray,

I’ve just received an updated controller board, and there’s one thing I’d prefer in the v2.0 beta board – the USB controller connector. Today’s standards mostly exclusively use the micro-USB connector, not USB type B connector used by OpenSprinkler. Just as a suggestion – having a micro USB would be a lot more convenient. The USB type B connector is really outdated and it’s really bulky. I plan to use a TL-WR702N router to connect the controller – it is impossible to connect router’s micro USB to controller’s USB connector without a USB gender-change adapter, there’s simply no direct cable. Besides, I’m using an enclosure to conceal the controller and an extension board – having a type B connector requires much larger enclosure; I couldn’t find 90-degree type B connector, readily available for micro-USB and cannot use the enclosure without cutouts.

Thank you!

Ray
    Keymaster

That’s a good suggestion, but for now I have to stick with the USB type B connector. The injection molded case is already in production, so I can’t change the cutout size now. Also, one supported feature is to power a WiFi adapter through OpenSprinkler’s USB port (http://rayshobby.net/?p=4233), and I worry that a micro USB connector would be too fragile and easy to break if you insert adapter to it.

Datamonkey
    Participant

So if we get that adapter we could use something like N150 Micro Wireless USB Adapter to connect to a WiFi network?
    I would think something like the more popular A type USB would be more useful as they make adaptors for this all over the place and it more standard to network gear/computers.
    The lack of WiFi is about the only thing stopping me from getting this because of where I have to set it all up. I don’t really have room to have a bridge with it.

Also on a side note any issues with putting the whole set up in a water tight box? I am thinking of placing the system outdoors as I do not have a place I the house that can reach the cables to the valves. I will be able to run the power into it and seal that up. So I wondering if it heats up a lot.

Ray
    Keymaster

No, OpenSprinkler does not have USB host functionality, so you can’t use a USB adapter.
    Please check this section of the user manual for recommended WiFi Adapters:
    http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=3775#network
    Also, this blog post explains how to power the WiFi adapter through the USB port:
    http://rayshobby.net/?p=4233

I would say it’s ok to put everything in a water tight box. I haven’t tried this myself, so I don’t know for sure. But the controller consumes less than 1 watt of power during operation, so I assume it shouldn’t produce much heat at all.

Oasiz37
    Participant

I’ve ended up ordering USBAF-USBBM-F adapter from vpi.us. It’s the only space-saving adapter for USB Type B connector I could find. Hope this helps.

Datamonkey
    Participant

Thank guys.
    I guess my issues is where my valves are on the north side of our house which is concerned the wasteland of our property. No sun hits it and the only way to get to it is going out a door on the back or front of the house that are located more to the south. So I want to place it out there safe but also so I do not have to go out there too often and check on it. I had a power outlet placed out there to move the current Rain Bird timer we got with the house over there but I like your system better.
    My problem is I have to place it totally outside. I was planning on getting an Otter box and putting a hole in it just for power and the lines to the stations and sealing those up. Then mounting that to the side of the house. I am trying to keep the whole thing small for price reasons and in the one spot on that side that has some protection form the elements. Knowing my luck I will seal up the holes in the box and it will still leak. So I’m trying to give the set up a second line of protection.
    After reading more on your site I might go with the Pi version. I thinking of getting weather station for our house and using its sensors to send data to the unit. As the Pi lets me do more programming it might be the better choice.

Again thanx for the info.

rwp
    Participant

I have an ospi up and running with an edimax wifi adapter.Bought an open sprinkler assembled version and several expansion boards but now To make it wifi the edimax won’t work.?why? The manual recommended wifi adapter and any search for such returns many adapters similar to the edimax.I assumed when talking about powering an adapter ability from the open sprinkler it would work like the ospi.There should be specific instructions that common wifi adapters won’t work and another 25$ is required.Even then still no steps for installation or the difference in adapters.

Ray
    Keymaster

I apologize for the confusion, note that the recommended WiFi adapters for OpenSprinkler are listed on the product webpage:
    http://rayshobby.net/cart/opensprinkler/os-20
    as well as the online user manual:
    http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=3775#network

Edimax is a USB WiFi dongle. It can’t work with OpenSprinkler (microcontroller version) because it requires a USB host device.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions USB connector type