OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Use OSPi to control GE Low voltage 24AC RR7 relays

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Tomg7
    Participant

Hi All,

I have some old GE Low voltage lighting system that works on 24AC relays. I am a software person with some very rudimentary electronics knowledge so I have these questions about the feasibility of what I am thinking. I am wondering if the OSPi would be compatible with these relays with different software.
    They have one connection for on and one for off plus the common so I am thinking I would need to utilize two outputs on the OSPi for each relay.
    The relays are of type RR7:

https://www.kele.com/lighting-controls/rr-7,-rr-9.aspx

325mA @ 24VAC

and they need a 50ms momentary pulse to activate the on/off. The relays retain their position in power outage so do not need constant power.

The other thing I wonder is if I retained the manual low voltage switches connected in parallel to the OSPi could this cause an issue?

COM -> RelayOn -> OSPi-OUT1
    COM -> RelayOff -> OSPi-OUT2
    COM -> RelayOn -> ./ . -> +24VAC
    COM -> RelayOff -> ./ .-> +24VAC

The other thing to note is that the system has a diode at the 24AC transformer so it runs on half wave rectified 24AC so I wonder if I can supply this to the OSPi or does it require raw 24VAC.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide,

Tom

Tomg7
    Participant

The answer is yes just in case any one is googling RR7 relays. I bought the OSPI and hooked it up to my pi and a test relay and with a bit of python I could turn the relay on and off.

The GE part I want to replace with a modified open sprinkler is RMS-4A.

Thanks for creating this marvelous device!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Use OSPi to control GE Low voltage 24AC RR7 relays