OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware UTF problem again?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

aruzsi
    Participant

Hi,

The localization is Hungarian. I changed to English, without any change.

The page on which there is the weather info, my place and the current time and water level the Hungarian characters are wrong! And the place is wrong, to. WEB page said: Dunavarsány-Kertváros (with wrong ‘á’ characters) and my place is Dunaharaszti which was setup on the setup option. On the same page I renamed the name of valves and the Hungarian characters are perfect!!!

I’m terrible sorry but I can’t copy and paste here the letters because I can’t select from that page (Firefox + Ubuntu 14.04)

TIA,

Samer
    Keymaster

Hi,

Not all pages in the app support live changing of the language. Some pages will update within a few seconds and some need to be backed out of and returned to in order to see the language change.

I assume the language is changed infrequently and think this is a tolerable procedure.

The city name being incorrect is due to how weather underground reports the city name. It reports an observation location and a display location. Currently, the app uses the display location however I am changing this to the observation location in the next update as it is more accurate.

Hope this helps.

aruzsi
    Participant

OK, I understand, but:

– Why not the same place on the WEB page and application? Both of them setup to Dunaharaszti. App is OK, WEB page not.

– Different character set? Look at the attached image from WEB page. App is OK, WEB page not.

TIA,

BTW: Today I finished installing the system and the 1st scheduled spinkle was absolved succesfully. 😉 Can I found any turorial for scheduling? I setup 2 start times in every 2nd day but it wasn’t too trivial and I don’t want operation on every Sunday morning because of lawn movning.

Samer
    Keymaster

Well, I have the following meta tag on index.htm:
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

Furthermore, it works fine on my browsers so it could be a local issue. Can you try another browser?

For scheduling instructions, please consult the manual here: https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000606704-user-manual-firmware-2-1-3-current-

aruzsi
    Participant

I tried it with Chrome.

It is wrong. Different from the Firefox, but wrong.

TIA,

Samer
    Keymaster

Okay, looking further into this and here is what I found out:

The observation location is now being used since other user’s said it was more accurate however Weather Underground is sending the following information for your location:

city: "Délegyháza-Kertváros, Délegyháza"
    country_iso3166: "HU"
    elevation: "318 ft"
    full: "Délegyháza-Kertváros, Délegyháza, PEST"
    latitude: "47.261456"
    longitude: "19.081120"
    state: "PEST"

The display location is shown as:

city: "Dunaharaszti"
    country_iso3166: "HU"
    elevation: "100.00000000"
    full: "Dunaharaszti, Hungary"
    latitude: "47.34999847"
    longitude: "19.08333397"
    magic: "7"
    state: ""
    state_name: "Hungary"
    wmo: "12844"
    zip: "00000"

Basically, the issue is with Weather Underground and the switch to using the observation location. This really seems like a Weather Underground issue and to make matters worse some users find the observation location more accurate whereas the display location seems to have less errors with formatting. I am still thinking about the best way to approach this but this is what is going on right now.

Thanks!

aruzsi
    Participant

OK.

I don’t understand why different the WEB page and the app?

The two places are not too far from each other so the weather will be the same and that is the main goal. Of course I can accept the wrong characters instead of the Hungarian characters but it is a little bit ugly. The operation will be perfect the point of view of valves. 😉

If you can please do something. If not not a big problem, 😉

TIA,

Samer
    Keymaster

The app doesn’t have the small change the web version does regarding the location being used hence the discrepancy.

I am currently fixing this as that screenshot is unacceptable. The function I have generates the following for your location:
    Délegyháza, Pest County

Is this acceptable?

aruzsi
    Participant

Délegyháza is more than 12kms from Dunaharaszti.

I wanted to check again Délegyháza on the WEB page and I can see Tököl, Pest is on it. 😉 Did you change anything? The distance between Dunaharaszti and Tököl is almost the same to Délegyháza.

TIA,

Samer
    Keymaster

If you are seeing changes in your UI then that means you are using the beta UI. In order to change back to the release version open the /su page and change the betaui to ui in the URL field.

Keep in mind the /su page needs a MD5 hashed password now. We are going to try to make this page easier to work with in the future.

Samer
    Keymaster

In regard to the location, I see what you mean but it is quite difficult to get exactly right since weather underground data is not accurate. I am having to use the GPS coordinates to geolocate the city and get the name that way. It seems a lot better than junk characters. For now, 12km seems a lot more acceptable than foreign characters.

With that said, I will see what I can do to improve the accuracy further.

Thanks!

aruzsi
    Participant

OK, thanks.

I’m waiting for your new solution. 😉

Samer
    Keymaster

Okay, the current naming solution is rather accurate and I know why the distances are off from your location. I have attached a screenshot of the app which pulls up all the weather stations in your area (which is available in the app to the right of the location input). You will notice the nearest weather station is Taksony, Pest country.

Since you are inputting a city name into the location field, Weather Underground is picking a weather station for you and sometimes it picks Tokol and sometimes the other which is why your text is changing. Furthermore, the nearest station to your city is in fact in Taksony which is why your city name doesn’t match your actual city name.

To enforce Taksony weather station, use the following location, pws:IDUNAHAR2. This appears to only be 4.8km apart.

I hope this helps clarify things and with this knowledge I am planning on proceeding with using the locality, administrative_level_1 (or country) as the location name on the home page as this helps identify which location’s weather is influencing your OpenSprinkler.

If you want more accurate results, you can setup your own Weather Station and register it with Weather Underground. To make the app only use a specific weather station, you may select it from the map tool or use “pws:ID” where ID is the weather station ID.

Attachments:

aruzsi
    Participant

Maybe you don’t understand the problem exactly.

There are two possibilities reach the hardware (Sprinkler):

– normal WEB page with browsers

– mobil application (Android in my situation).

Both of them have to use the same hw and data from the Weather info or any other information from the controlled system.

I have got two problems:

– wrong character set (displaying UTF-8)

– not perfect place for weather info.

Mobil application is using the perfect Hungarian characters and that is I don’t understand why. Or WEB why not? What is the difference?

TIA,

Samer
    Keymaster

I understand it exactly and already explained the discrepancy in the web vs the app and already explained how to resolve it.

The location is not accurate in 1.4.1. It happens to work for you however in the next version I’m changing how the name works and it will accurately reflect the weather station shown.
    So addressing your issues:

This will have no UTF-8 issues. So not sure why you mention this again.

“Not perfect place for weather info” this isn’t my fault. The closest weather source to your location is Taksony.

Hope this helps.

aruzsi
    Participant

OK, OK.

I can see, Tököl is perfect on both page in UTF-8.

Where can I check my version number? 1.4.1? Is that the version of javascript?

TIA,

Samer
    Keymaster

The version number is available in the About page which is linked on the left side panel (swipe right).

I thought Tokol is further than Taksony? If you want to use Taksony instead of Tokol, use the location, “pws:IDUNHAR2” without the quotes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware UTF problem again?