OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Valve and pump don't work together

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tche55555
    Participant

Hi,

Please, I will need your assistance to help me and explain me what can can be wrong… I just precise that I don’t have any electronics skills 🙂

I have a pump (with a relay 24DC / 220AC) and a valve connected on the opensprinkler DC.
    The pump or the walve work perfectly independently but it doesn’t work together…
    When I start the valve and the pump (even just a simple light) : only the valve works.
    You will find a picture of the wiring diagram in the file attached.

Here my setup :
    Opensrpinkler 3.0 DC – Firmware 2.1.8
    Relay : CZH-LABS F-1001/24V
    Valve : Hunter pgv 100 – 24VAC solenoid valve

Thank you very much

JimS
    Participant

It looks like you are trying to run an AC valve from DC. It will draw quite a bit of current at 24VDC. Ray has written some on the subject. It may be that the valve loads the power supply enough to reduce the voltage too much for the relay to operate. I suggest you measure the 24V supply with the valve on.

https://rayshobby.net/wordpress/understanding-24vac-sprinkler-valves/

Ray
    Keymaster

I second what JimS said: you are using 24VDC to drive 24VAC valves, that’s going to burn out your valve, or it’s going to overload the DC power adapter, which can explain why it doesn’t work. As the ‘Understanding 24VAC sprinkler valve’ article said: perhaps somewhat ironically, to drive AC valve using DC you will have to use a much lower voltage, which is sufficient to provide the holding current. That’s why OSDC comes with a 7.5VDC adapter by default, as that generates roughly 200 to 300mA holding current for a typical 24VAC valve (coil resistance measured about 25 to 35ohm).

tche55555
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Now I’m using opensprinkler only for the valves and it’s OK.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Valve and pump don't work together