OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Voltage but no current

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

os-fan
    Participant

Which component on the expansion board going bad would account for the following symptom on one zone?

+24 VAC is present on zone when not connected to sprinkler solenoid, however voltage drops to 0 as soon as connection is made.

Connected this sprinkler solenoid to a different zone and it works as it should – solenoid turns on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Augustin
    Participant

Connected this sprinkler solenoid to a different zone and it works as it should – solenoid turns on.

When you did the test with a different zone, you used same wires from the solenoid to the controller?
    If answer yes: I don’t have enough knowledge to answer.
    If answer no: The wires between controller to solenoid are shot, I had a similar case and I tested like you did but I tested also the wires and turn out to be the wires I had to re-route.

os-fan
    Participant

When you did the test with a different zone, you used same wires from the solenoid to the controller?

Yes, I just moved the wire from the bad zone to a different zone. The solenoid is 150 feet away in a sprinkler box, so I don’t think it’s the wires or the solenoid itself. After removing the wire from the bad zone, that’s also when I noticed that the +24VDC was present, but that it would drop to 0 as soon as I re-connected the wire.

Ray
    Keymaster

Just to double check, when you say you measured 24VAC, did you measure it from the common (COM) wire to that zone, or some other points? The correct way is to measure between common wire and that zone. I really can’t explain what you are observing: if the voltage between common and that zone wire is 0, either there is a shorting on the wires (or the solenoid is shorted), or the triac switch is damaged open (essentially leaving the circuit open). However, the fact that you can measure 24VAC without connecting the zone wire means the triac switch should be working.

There is a way to directly test the triac. Specifically, use the multimeter’s diode testing functionality to measure the diode forward drop voltage between gate and T1 pin (red probe on gate, and black probe on T1). You can find the pin layout on the datasheet:
    http://www.ween-semi.com/documents/BT1308W-400D.pdf
    page 3 (note that gate is marked 3 and T1 is marked 1). If the triac is ok, the forward drop voltage should be about 0.6 to 0.7V. Otherwise the triac is damaged.

os-fan
    Participant

Ray, I am measuring voltage between the common wire and this wire. I’ll check the triac this weekend and let you know. There is no real urgency because the sprinkler is currently working on a different zone, but I am curious to understand what is going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bowman Mod
    Participant

Same problem here with 24vac present on station 05. No current capability. Solenoid or wire is not the fault as I’ve moved the wire to station 06 and works fine. Has been no storms or power spikes that I’m aware of.

Hardware issue?

Ray
    Keymaster

I suppose it’s possible that the triac os that station is damaged, so even though there is voltage, the triac is not capable to sink any current through it. You can check my post above (#44314) for diagnosis instructions, or you can submit a support ticket and ship it back to us so we can check it for you.

alexjensentx
    Participant

I’m reporting the same problem on my end. Station 4 (24 vac) delivering no current. Moved the wire over to Station 6, and its working correctly. Definitely a hardware issue. Any warranty coverage on this?

Bowman Mod
    Participant

Alexjensentx. Message support directly, Ray may be able to help you out.

I wonder if this hardware issue was fixed on the quietly released hardware 3.0?

Ray
    Keymaster

Alexjensentx: please send a support ticket about the issue.

OpenSprinkler 3.0 uses exactly the same driver circuit as previous versions. The only change is the microcontroller (from ATmega1284 to ESP8266) and the size of the controller.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Voltage but no current