OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions What type of relay shall I use for a water pump

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will be using my OpenSprinkler PI with a water pump pumping from well
    What type of relay shall I use to switch the water pump on and off?
    Shall I use a bistable relay or a monostable one?
    If you could provide references for the actual suitable relay that would be most helpful.
    Thanks

Ray
    Keymaster

You can use a pump start relay, which is pretty standard for controlling a pump in sprinkler system. You can search on Amazon and find plenty of options, such as this:
    https://www.amazon.com/bomba-aspersor-%C3%B3rbita-arranque-sistema/dp/B000I19I5E
    it’s usually rated by the horse power that it can handle. The horse power should be sufficient to match your pump.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Ray. I’d already pinpointed this Aqua Control relay but, knowing very little of the subject I was just seeking an educated opinion.
    Cheers from Portugal,
    Luis

egdirdle
    Participant

I built my own. 24vac coil so I can drive with like the valves I use.
    Contacts are double pole rated for the line voltage here it is 240vac. Europe it is likely to be 220vAC.
    I have a small water pump but decided to make the relay support a big water pump so contacts are rated to switch 10Amps, inductive load. element14, RS components, Digikey etc all sell these parts. Relay should cost under EURO10.

I then made up a box with a power lead feeding through an approved cord retention device. I mounted a female power connector on the box. I then ran a single pair cable to the relay coil, through a water tight grommet 10m long to connect to the Opensprinkler.

Wired it all unto meet safety code. The unit is rain water tight

It is legal for me to do this in Australia.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions What type of relay shall I use for a water pump