OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Which Hardware?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dpackham
    Participant

so there are options.

OpenSprinkler v2.0s
    Latest and greatest I understand. but I do like to hack a bit myself… 🙂

OpenSprinkler DIY v1.42u
    Other than the DIY/Solder myself part and the SDcard im guessing I locked into the 1.x code line with the 1.42 DIY board.

OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi)
    will this option run the code like the 2.0 or the 1.4? I like being able to run full linux and use other GPIO ports for other things… but will I get the latest OS code here?

and Arduino DIY.
    if I just want to hack/slash thru it?? 🙂
    Older code?

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Ray
    Keymaster

If you are good at soldering and want to build one completely from scratch, go with 1.42u. Yes, you will be locked into 1.8.3 firmware, and there is no way to add SD card support due to the flash and RAM constraints. I wish Atmel could release an ATmega648 chip at some point, which would have solved this problem 🙂

If you are familiar with Python and want to tinker with the software, go with OSPi. It currently runs firmware 1.8.3 (Dan’s interval_program). There are also Rich’s sprinklers_pi program, and the Google Calendar based scheduling program.

If you want something that works out of the box without further assembly, go with OpenSprinkler 2.0s. It’s more expensive, because it’s more oriented towards the consumer market. But it’s still open-source, and give you plenty of space for hardware / software hacking.

If you want something in between fully assembled 2.0s and the DIY 1.42u, there is the DIY 2.1u that will become available in a few weeks. It’s not all through-hole though — about 60% assembled and the rest for you to solder.

dpackham
    Participant

does the current DIY kit allow logging of watering times with the remote web servers? or do we need the 2.0 version to get the graphs?

Thanks

Ray
    Keymaster

The current DIY kit does not have built-in logging feature. It’s possible to use an external server, like a Raspberry Pi to log it though. For example, Samer’s OpenSprinkler mobile app provides a logging feature:
    http://rayshobby.net/?p=6409
    and there was an earlier work by Dave Gustavson that also enables logging:
    http://rayshobby.net/?p=4821

dpackham
    Participant

cool so the DIY kit running 1.8.x can be logged with the external web app ?

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Which Hardware?