OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Windows updater program not running

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

kevin_s

I have my OpenSprinkler connected to my Win 8.1 64bit laptop and the drivers installed correctly, however when I try to start the windows upgrader program, it dies immediately.

I don’t have java on the path so I copied java.exe, javaw.exe and javaws.exe to the path and tried again with no luck.

I’ve also tried running the installer on a headless Linux VM but it complained that there was an X_11 variable not set so I’m assuming the linux version cannot run without a GUI.

Any help would be much appreciated. I’m currently on firmware 2.05 on hardware revision 2.1 and trying to solve a lock-up issue.

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

For Windows: try to install Java first: go to http://www.java.com, download and install.

The test machines I used apparently all have Java installed, so I didn’t notice this problem before.

kevin_s

I have Java already installed. I had deleted it from the windows system folder as I didn’t want it on the path before. I restored it and it still doesn’t work. Any other ideas?

Samer
    Keymaster

@kevin_s wrote:

I’ve also tried running the installer on a headless Linux VM but it complained that there was an X_11 variable not set so I’m assuming the linux version cannot run without a GUI.

If you are comfortable with this setup, you can install avrdude (for example: apt-get install avrdude) and update the firmware from the command line without a GUI.

For hardware version 2.1:

Remember you still need to enter bootloading mode, instructions here:

To enter bootloading mode: turn off the controller; press and hold pushbutton B2 while plugging in a USB cable; then release B2 within 2 seconds after inserting the USB cable. The screen should remain off.

The following command would work (assuming the file, firmware2.0.9.hex, is in the current working directory):

avrdude -c usbasp -p m644 -F -U flash:w:firmware2.0.9.hex

kevin_s

That worked great! Thanks for the help. Now if I can find out where the export configuration option saves the config file I can import that back in.

Thanks again!

Ray
    Keymaster

@kevin_s: it’s good to hear that you’ve got it working, but I am still puzzled why the updater program didn’t work. I tried on a fresh XP system, and after installing Java the updater program runs without a problem. I didn’t need to set PATH variable or anything. If you can think of anything why it doesn’t work on your system, let me know. Thanks.

Samer
    Keymaster

@kevin_s wrote:

That worked great! Thanks for the help. Now if I can find out where the export configuration option saves the config file I can import that back in.

Thanks again!

Right now, it saves it in localStorage of the browser. So this is browser specific and just pushing import will restore it so long you are in the same browser (not ideal and will be fixed soon).

cpaine

I had posted this question on 14 Sept in the “Usage and Firmware updates” under the “SD card instructions” discussion, but maybe it belongs here better; I can also provide more info.
    Problem is similar to that described by kevin_s: the updater just does not run.

I’m running Vista Home Premium, Java 1.7 update 40, have the USBtinyisp installed. Hardware is OpenSprinkler v2.0 (May 2013), s/w version 2.0.0. Because hosting the js files on the SD card is not supported before 2.0.3, I am trying to upgrade the s/w version. I downloaded and extracted the Firmware Updater 2.0.zip. In folder osFirmwareUpdater/windows I see file osFirmwareUpdater.exe. But when I plug in the OS to USB, the updater does not run. The OS shows the date with “connecting…”, which then changes to “MC:__________________” after several seconds. If I try to run the .exe file, with or without OS plugged in, nothing happens.
    Just for fun, I tried the instructions for OS v2.1: When I power the OS with B2 pressed, the screen shows “Reset All?”. That doesn’t seem to be what I want.
    Advice? Thanks.

TechFan
    Participant

Hold B2 while plugging in the USB and release after less than 2 seconds. The screen should stay blank.

cpaine

Perhaps it should, but it does not. The screen illuminates as soon as the USB is plugged in, and reads “Reset all?”.

cpaine

Let me be more explicit about that, because my quick response is open to misinterpretation.
    With B2 held down as the USB is plugged in, the screen illuminates immediately but without any characters; then within 1 second reads “Reset all?”. This occurs whether the power switch is on or off, and whether the SD card is installed or not. (I have no reason to think that these latter two things would make any difference, I mention them only for completeness.) Releasing B2 before the screen reads “Reset all?” is as if B2 had not been held down; i.e., the screen reads the date and “Connecting….”; Releasing B2 within 2 seconds of plugging in the USB but after the screen reads “Reset all?” does not change the screen, and the Updater does not run.

Ray
    Keymaster

Do you have OpenSprinkler 2.1 or 2.0? The main difference (in appearance) between them is that 2.1 uses an orange-colored 24V AC terminal block, while 2.0 uses green-colored. The ‘pressing B2 while plugging in USB’ is only needed for 2.1 (due to its bootloader implementation). If you have 2.0, you do NOT need to press B2.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Windows updater program not running