OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Wiring garage door opener as well as 24V relays

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Travis
    Participant

I apologize for the simplicty of this question. I am trying to use the stations from the open sprinkler to send a basic ON/OFF signal to 2 things: 1) garage door opener 2) 24V Relays to interupt lights or power outlets of my choosing.

My question is how do I actually connect the wires on it? I have 18/2 wire and I simply need to know what connects where on the relay Ray recommended on his post, as well as what connect where with the garage door opener. I was assuming I’d just have the wires run to the current switch on the wall which is just a cheap doorbell switch that connects the wires.

For the garage door, once it was connected, my assumption was to run a 1 second program on the station that sent a signal to it.

I’m not an electrician but I am doing my best to install everything safely.

Augustin
    Participant

Travis: Regarding 2) 24V Relays to interupt lights or power outlets of my choosing I went through RF bulb sockets and RF power outlets. No wires, no relays, just follow Ray’s video tutorial and everything would be easy. I have 2 exterior lights which are turning on at sunset and turning off at sunrise, 2,5W LED enough to light entrance and back terrace whole night.
    On the garage door I wouldn’t go RF route because of security implications.

Travis
    Participant

Agreed, I see the benefits of not using relays…however, if relays were to be used are you familiar with how to wire one up? Also, on the garage door, are you familiar with how to wire that directly from the OS to the simple wall console button?

Augustin
    Participant

Iirc the previous versions of OS has a relay already installed, meant for controlling a garage door. Also Ray has a post about different types of relays for OS, look into that. Starting the types of relays and depending on what systems you have you might have a solution.

Travis
    Participant

Right, I’m sorry for not being direct in my original post where I reference Ray’s relay post. So if I use the Omron relay, how exactly do I install it?

Ray
    Keymaster

A relay has two ‘coil wires’ or ‘coil pins’. Just connect the two coil wires like how you would wire a sprinkler valve. Regarding which two are the coil wires, you have to check the relay’s datasheet. For example, on the Omron relay:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T742IA
    the two gold colored pins at the bottom are the coin pins.
    For the RT314524 relay, check the datasheet:
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/RT314and424-205089.pdf

lillieross
    Participant

Nice Thread!

Ray
    Keymaster

Saw new posts here and wanted to points out that OpenGarage is now available for purchase on our site:
    https://opensprinkler.com/product/opengarage/
    this is a WiFi-based universal garage door opener with support for remote access (through Blynk app).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Wiring garage door opener as well as 24V relays