OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App After Update no access via OpenSprinkler

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Tobi
    Participant

Hello,

Yesterday an update was shown in the app.
    Sadnly I did it, now I don‘t have any access to the app.

Can someone support me, my not existing linux expirance are not really helpfully 🙁

Regards

Thomas

Ray
    Keymaster

Likely it’s related to this:
    https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/ospi-ui-not-coming-up-after-update/
    If you have previously checked out branch 2.1.8, you can switch back to master branch by going to terminal or ssh to your RPi, and go to the firmware folder, do:
    git checkout master
    then
    git pull
    and finally
    sudo ./build.sh ospi
    Then reboot your RPi. That should fix it.

Tobi
    Participant

Thanks Ray,

but I´m to stupid
    look at the screenshot

Attachments:

Ray
    Keymaster

I said “go to the firmware folder” — you are at the home directory. Please do:
    cd OpenSprinkler-Firmware
    then you will be in the firmware folder

Tobi
    Participant

OK
    Take a look onto the screenshot please

Attachments:

Ray
    Keymaster

Your firmware folder is named OpenSprinklerGen2, so just
    cd OpenSprinklerGen2

Tobi
    Participant

Ok thats done, but the opensprinkler app can´t reach the raspi from iPad or iPhone
    But I can reach the home side via Laptop as shown on the screenshot, but not on port :8080

Attachments:

Ray
    Keymaster

Judging from that page you probably used the OpenSprinkler pre-configured SD card and upgraded from that. Please note that the latest firmware is no longer compatible with the Raspbian in the pre-configured SD card — that image was created several years ago and is not compatible with the latest RPi any more. You need to install the latest Raspbian and install firmware after that.

edwardh
    Participant

First, thank you for the work on this software and hardware!

I think that I am experiencing this same issue. I updated the iPhone app to version 1.7.9 recently – NO other system changes – and now the app says “Unable to connect to Home.” I can access the web UI without problem.

Again, the only thing that has changed is the app upgrade.

Edit: I am using a Pi version installed on top of Raspbian. Not able to get a shell to check version, but it was pulled from master sometime in June. Can get version info later.

Ray
    Keymaster

@edwardh: you said you can access the web UI without problem — could you check which app version the web UI is? The latest should be 1.8.0.

edwardh
    Participant

App Version: 1.8.0
    Firmware: 2.1.8 (1)
    Hardware Version: OSPi

Tobi
    Participant

You need to install the latest Raspbian and install firmware after that.

sudo apt-get update and
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    are made
    can you please help me with the firmware?

edwardh
    Participant

A bit more information: I setup my parents several years ago on OpenSprinkler. This is an early hardware version that has an Ethernet jack, though at the moment I can’t say how early it is. It was one of the kits that I assembled.

Again, I can access its web UI without a problem, but the iPhone app gives me the same “cannot connect” error. The web UI says it is running firmware version 1.8.3. Similar to my OSPi, no changes have been made on the hardware side, only an iPhone app upgrade.

Tobi
    Participant

Hi,

Yesterday in addition an update of the iPhone app was available via app store.
    I did it.

Can someone help me with the right ospi frirmware, I ve the Pi gen2 with Lan.
    I’m struggling with the versions of the right firmware..

Regards
    Thomas

edwardh
    Participant

Weird…I received an email notice that @Samer replied, but I don’t see it here. Anyway…

@Samer
    : My iPhone app is version 1.7.9. I saw in the other thread your mention of a minor update on the way, but it is not yet appearing in the App Store for me to upgrade. I’ll update

Ray
    Keymaster

Just a quick note while we try to troubleshoot iOS app issues: you can always access the controller by using a web browser (Chrome etc.) and directly typing in the IP address into the browser. At least this allow you to continue using the controller while we troubleshoot the app. At the moment Samer and I neither of us can reproduce the issue: we’ve tested on iPhone 5, 6, X, iPad, and they all access the test OpenSprinkler fine without any problem. So we are still looking to reproduce the problem to begin the troubleshooting.

edwardh
    Participant

@Ray: I appreciate the reminder. I have bookmarked my site for quick access, as far as I’m concerned things are still working, just not quite as convenient. I’m new to the most recent firmware and I love the advanced weather-based adjustments.

@Samer
    : I *just now* (13:12 EDT) updated the app to v1.8.1. The only change is that I now get an “Incorrect Password” prompt instead of the original error message that indicated “Cannot connect to Home.” So, still no access with the iPhone app.

Some more details about my setup, and remember that the web UI works fine for all of this. I’m not sure if any of this will be helpful: I have dynamic DNS setup on my Ubiquiti firewall. Behind that I direct all HTTP(S) traffic (ports 80/443) to an nginx reverse proxy server that allows me to easily create subdomains for the few different services I want to be able to access remotely. That nginx instance applies basic HTTP authentication to the OSPi server and also acts as an SSL endpoint with LetsEncrypt. I know the default port for the OpenSprinkler web server is 8080, which can be changed in the settings, but I have left that alone as the reverse proxy allows me to “change” it to port 80 on the WAN side.

As I mentioned previously, my father is having the same issue. Different OpenSprinkler hardware, but also behind reverse proxy with HTTP authentication, though I haven’t setup SSL at his place. Again, direct access of web UI on the WAN facing sub domain works without issue.

Not sure if any of this is useful for consideration of this bug. If this forum supports direct messaging I wouldn’t mind offering you my URL and a test user for debugging purposes.

Samer
    Keymaster

I am preparing an app which downgrades the webview back to UIWebView. This will be available as 1.8.2 shortly. I believe the issues are all due to the webview change made in 1.7.9.

Tobi
    Participant

Hi,

because of someone take over my tread for his problem, should I open an new?
    I just need the what firmware fits to my pi and how i can install it..
    It sonds that my old inst. from the pre- configured SD card are obsolete and for the garbage.

Thanks

Thomas

edwardh
    Participant

I’ll keep an eye out for the new version and post results. Thanks!

Tobi
    Participant

@Ray:Can you help me?

Thanks
    Thomas

Networknoobie
    Participant

Hi all,

I am having the same problem after updating my iphone’s app. I updated to 1.81 of the opensprinkler app and also the latest firmware for OpenSprinkler for my raspberry pi2. I could not connect to port http://opensprinkler:8080 after. I tried my laptop as well and port 8080 does not come up. I ssh’ed to my opensprinkler box to reboot it, but it still did not connect. I ssh’ed to the box again and ran:

sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, selected yes and installed the latest updates for raspbian. I rebooted the box and still could get the default page, but nothing at port 8080. I ssh’ed again and did a pgrep to see if opensprinkler was running, it was. I killed it and went to the OpenSprinkler folder and did a git clone, and build to compile the newest version thinking that might be the problem. After it ran, I rebooted the box. I ssh’ed, made sure it has an ip address and opensprinkler is running, and tried port 8080. Still nothing. I am not sure what to do now. I am debating formatting a new SD card, getting the latest raspbian lite image, and starting my install from scratch. Do anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

Samer
    Keymaster

If the only issue is accessing the control using the iOS application, then please wait for version 1.8.2. In the meantime please use Safari (web browser) to access the device.

If your issue is the web server is also not running maybe @Ray can better assist.

Networknoobie
    Participant

Hi Samer, my issue was using chrome/internet explorer/safari port 8080 would not come up or do anything.

I used a spare SD card and loaded the newest raspbian, set up wifi, and downloaded and installed OpenSprinkler and its working now on port 8080. On another note, the zone expander I have does not work at all. I have plugged it into the opensprinkler and tested one sprinkler (the green cable) on it’s line 1. I tested it using the app on station 9, and station 10.. nothing happened. I unplugged it and put it into station 1 on opensprinkler and tested it, which works fine. I don’t know why the zone expander is not working and I am not sure what to try to get it working. My setup is currently being tested and I get everything working correctly I plan on cleaning it up and making it look pretty. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

According to the about page:

App Version 1.8.0
    Firmware 2.1.8 (1)
    Hardware Version: OSPi

Ray
    Keymaster

@Networknoobie: judging from the picture, it seems the expander problem is either because the extension cable was not plugged in correctly, or the cable was mis-wired. Here is my evidence: all 8 wires on the extension cable should be parallel, in your picture, the orange wire on the OSPi side is on the bottom row, but on the expander side is on the top row. This can’t be right. The cable connectors are polarized so there should only be one way to plug it in. Please re-check the cable. It’s certainly possible that the cable may be mis-wired, but it’s quite rare. If you put the two connectors back to back, with the ‘notch’ facing up, all 8 wires should be parallel with no crossing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App After Update no access via OpenSprinkler