OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware My Open Sprinkler has been having trouble connecting lately

This topic contains 37 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Hamboo 5 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

jmillerah
    Participant

Usually a solid (as solid as WIFI can get) connection is now crap as I have constant disconnections with my controller.
    Anyone else experiencing this?
    BTW OS was much better with a wired connection!

cableguy103
    Participant

I am starting to have the exact same issues as you. My wireless SSID and network has not changed but I keep loosing connection to the controller and the only way to restore the connection is to power cycle the sprinkler controller. I am running Ubiquiti wireless access points in my house and I have no issues with all the other wireless devices in the house.
    My biggest issue is when I loose connection to the controller the controller sprinkler schedule stops so my lawn ans flower garden dont get watered. My wife is about to kill me as I dont notice that it is not working until stuff starts to dry out. I bought the controller last year and had zero issues with it until this year a few weeks into watering season.

Hope there is a fix for this issue.

Ray
    Keymaster

There are several things to check:
    1. do you have a single WiFi router or you have WiFi range extenders / mesh network at home?
    2. Note that we just released a newer version of firmware 2.1.8, which uses the latest ESP8266 core library and should have improved WiFi functionality. For OS 3.0 users we recommend upgrading to firmware 2.1.8.
    3. You can submit a support ticket to arrange for a replacement controller to be sent to you.

As a last resort: please note that we still sell version 2.3, with built-in Ethernet — the Ethernet version still exists, it’s not gone yet.

cableguy103
    Participant

1. I have a single WiFi router and 2 access points off of that. Both AP’s have the same SSID where devices can jump from one ap to the other.

2. I just installed the latest firmware last night so we will see how it goes.

3. I will create a support ticket if the problem comes back after the firmware update.

Thanks
    JG

jmillerah
    Participant

Suddenly later that day it became stable again. I am convinced it is some other wireless signal blocking or interfering signals in or around my location.
    This is another reason why WIFI and wireless in general is terrible. Please bring back the ethernet connection on your product.

martin.pawlak
    Participant

Hi! I am also running Ubiquiti wireless access points (UniFi AP-AC-Mesh 3.9.42.9152) and have the same problem. Opensprinkler (3.0 DC Firmware 2.1.8 (1)) lost Wifi connection so i have to reconnect or start over the controller. Now i connected the controller to a UniFi AP-AC-Pro (3.9.42.9152) and till now it works fine…i hope.

cableguy103
    Participant

Ever since I upgraded my Open Sprinkler to version 2.1.8 (1) I have not had any lock up issues. I am running Unifi AP-Pro (3.9.27.8537).

martin.pawlak
    Participant

There is no problem with the Pro but when connected to the ac mesh(wireless uplink)

Ray
    Keymaster

@jmillerah: we do still sell the previous version: 2.3, with Ethernet jack.

jmillerah
    Participant

@keymaster: I noticed that, but how long will this older hardware version be supported? It is like buying an older computer and expecting it to work for me as long as a newer one.

Ray
    Keymaster

It will be supported for at least several years.

Lefrancais
    Participant

Since upgrading to 2.1.8 (1) I’m having the same issue where I can’t remotely connect to OSPI, I have to restart it, so much so that I installed a z-wave outlet so I can restart it remotely. Nothing has changed in my WiFi setup, using google mesh.
    Thank you

stonecrest
    Participant

Updated firmware using downloaded os30_2.1.8.bin file and, as others are reporting, I’m now having intermittent connection problems, the system was stable prior to update. To re-establish wifi connection the OpenSprinkler unit has to be power cycled and I’ve resorted to using a time switch to power off and on at intervals
    The suggestion that an ethernet version is still available for purchase seems to acknowledge there is a problem and frankly having already spent $150 I’m not impressed by the suggestion I should purchase another to resolve the problem.
    The omission of an ethernet connection was regrettable, both ethernet and wifi would be preferable.

Ray
    Keymaster

When posing please indicate what version of OpenSprinkler hardware you have. Lefrancais referred to OSPi, and stonecrest referred to OS 3.0, but I don’t know which version, AC-powered or DC-powered.

If you take a look at the sprinkler controller market, almost no one sells Ethernet-based sprinkler controller any more — almost all are WiFi-based.

Val
    Participant

Has anyone got a solution to this problem yet? I have a new unit (3 weeks old with FW 2.18(2) ) and I keep losing wifi connection with an Asus router with very good wifi next to the unit. It connects Ok quite quickly but loses its WIFI every day sometimes after a couple of hours. Powering the unit off and on quickly resolves the issue but that’s not acceptable.

(AC powered wifi 3.0 Unit)

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Val.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware My Open Sprinkler has been having trouble connecting lately