OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Problem updating firmware and Port Forwarding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

piaband
    Participant

Hardware version 2.1

Current firmware version 2.1.0

Windows 7

My first problem is that I cannot update the firmware.  I went through the instructions; downloaded and installed the driver, entered bootleoader mode, ran the windows .exe file, clicked detect device and it fails.  I’ve restarted the computer and the OpenSprinkler…no change.  What am I missing?  The instructions seem very clear.

The log file shows the error  as avbdude…(a few sentences I can’t remember…some about usbaps?) Below that it says error uploading firmware.

Second problem is that I cannot seem to set a static IP address to the OpenSprinkler.  I have an Asus R66U router.  I obtained the mac address of my OpenSprinkler through command prompt (ping/arp).  The first time my OpenSprinkler was on 192.168.1.49 so I set that as the static IP address, with the corresponding mac address.  I restart the router, then the OpenSprinkler and it switch to 192.168.1.50.  So I set it up with that IP address, reboot both, and it switches back to .49.  WTF?

The installation was a breeze.  The networking stuff is really not going according to the instructions.  Hopefully, someone has been through this and has some quick fixes.  Thanks in advance!

rjalex
    Participant

Did you check if despite the error message the FW was actually upgraded. I do this on Linux and there was a similar scary message but the FW got updated allright (but in my case the OS was detected – did you check the USB cable connection or cable itself ?)

Second question is really about your router configuration. Maybe you could post in that router forum ?

HTH

piaband
    Participant

Yes, it did not update the firmware.

I did not check the cable. I received a successful driver installation message upon connecting the usb cable, so I figured it was working ok.

piaband
    Participant

I’ve tried two different laptops and two different usb cables.  Same error every time.  Did I receive a broken unit?  I have changed the default password.  Does that matter?

Ray
    Keymaster

Please refer to this thread for troubleshooting firmware upgrade on OS 2.1:
    https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/firmware-update-problems-hardware-version-2-1/

Just repeating what I already said in that thread:

1) Unplug 24VAC, unplug USB (if it’s already connected)
    2) Plug one end of the USB cable to your computer
    3) Press and hold button B2, plug the other end of USB to OpenSprinkler
    4) Release B2 1~2 seconds after USB is plugged in

The LCD screen should remain off. If it lights up, that means you have to hold B2 a bit longer. The device should show up as a USBasp device, and if you are in Windows, you will be promoted to install driver if driver is not already installed.

piaband
    Participant

@ray

I’ve done that exact sequence using two different laptops, both window 7…and two different USB cables. Is there some nuance I am missing? I’m thinking my problem is related to the driver, but I don’t know how to troubleshoot that.

Also, I do see a confirmed USBasp connection when I connect the OS to the computers under boorloader mode.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, if I understand it correctly, you mean you see the device USBasp in Device Manager? Is there a question mark next to it? ‘Cause if there is a question mark, that means the driver didn’t work properly.

Can you post the log file? I would need to check the exact error it reports. By the way, since you already know your device is 2.1, you don’t have to click on ‘Detect Device’, you can simply select OpenSprinkler_v2.1 from the dropdown list, and click on the Update Firmware button. The reason is that if you clicked on ‘Detect Device’ first, the device will exit bootloader and so you will have to re-enter bootloader before clicking on Update Firmware.

piaband
    Participant

There is no question mark next to usbasp in device manager.

I have not been using detect device anymore for the reason you described. I just select my device.

I am copying this log from another post because i am away from home, but it’s the exact same log.

====== K márc. 24 13:39:25 2015 ======

Error uploading firmware.

====== K márc. 24 13:40:55 2015 ======

avrdude: error: could not find USB device “USBasp” with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

piaband
    Participant

here is my log

====== Tue Apr 7 16:04:09 2015 ======

avrdude: error: could not find USB device “USBasp” with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

====== Tue Apr 7 16:04:09 2015 ======

Error uploading firmware.

piaband
    Participant

I brought my Mac home from work and ran the firmware update program on it.  I was done in 5 seconds.  There is a problem with the Windows drivers….maybe not on all computers, but on both of my Windows 7 laptops.

Thanks for all the help Ray! /s

piaband
    Participant

I just want to post a follow-up for anyone experiencing the same issue as me.  This all started with me trying to Port forward my OpenSprinkler (O-S) for remote access. First, I had to set up a static IP address.  Being that I installed my O-S last year, I forgot that you can set a static IP on the O-S itself.  Here I encountered my first problem.  Being that I have hardware version 2.1on firmware version 2.1.0, I cannot simply press button 2 to display my MAC (how annoying).  After googling, I used my command prompt to run ping and arp commands and found what I thought was the O-S MAC address.  Unfortunately, it had returned the MAC address of my client router (The TPLink that O-S recommends installing with the unit).  Every time I set my static IP address on the router (unknowingly for the client router instead of my O-S), the O-S would jump.  It kept jumping back and forth between 192.168.1.49 and 192.168.1.50, the opposite of whichever I set as the static IP.  Now that I understand the whole picture, it makes more sense.

So I kind of figured that there was a problem with my MAC address after a while.  Here is where I encountered problem #2.  I tried to update my firmware version (in order to view the MAC by pressing button 2).  I followed along with the instructions posted online.  I’ve following much more difficult tutorials plenty of times in the past, but for some reason I just could not get this to work.  I believe there is a problem with the drivers that are on the installation PDF.  Maybe they are a problem on every computer, but they were on my Windows 7 64-bit HP laptop.  And they wouldnt work on my Toshiba netbook running Windows 7 either.  I finally brought my Mac laptop home from work (no driver necessary), and the installation was completed in under 10 seconds.  You can see the error message I received in the messages above.

Now that I had the new firmware, I removed the MAC address from the TP-Link client router, manually put the static IP into my O-S, and also attached the static IP to the O-S MAC address, through my main router.

Unfortunately, I still cannot access the O-S remotely, but I think this is due to the port forwarding settings.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U router.  The O-S instructions (using a different router brand) give the following cells to input data:

• Service port (external port) :8080
    • internal port : 80
    • IP address:  “O-S static IP address”
    • Protocol: All

On my ASUS RT-N66U router, I have set up as follows:

• Service Name: OpenSprinkler
    • Port Range: 8080
    • Local IP: “O-S static IP address”
    • Local Port: 80
    • Protocol: Both (TCP and UDP)

So these setting are not working for me.  If anyone knows what I am doing wrong, please let me know.  I guess I am not sure if all of these settings should be done on my main router or the client router.  And I dont know what the difference in naming is from the TP-Link tutorial to my ASUS router.

Oasiz37
    Participant

I remember having multiple problems with TP-link router; it was its DHCP server function that wouldn’t turn off no matter what. Here’s what I finally did:

1. Log to your TP-link router and update it to the latest firmware.
    2. Connect your laptop to it directly – turn your laptop’s WiFi off and connect via cable. Release/renew ipconfig
    3. Check TP-Link IP address and point browser to it; go to administration/configuration screen.
    4. Before switching it to the “WiFi client mode”, disable DHCP. This is important, because DHCP options are disabled in the client more but DHCP stays on.
    5. Switch TP-Link to the client mode and configure it.
    6. Plug OS back to TP-link.
    7. If you are using static IP address on OS, it should work now, however, mine is configured to use dynamic IP, so the following steps required:
    8. On your Asus router, go to Lan->DHCP server – IP reservation
    9. Add your OS mac address (most likely it’s 00:69:69:2D:30:00) and assign whatever IP you like
    10. Make sure port forwarding works

Most important thing was disabling TP-Link’s DHCP in the client mode. In my case. TP-Link is so unreliable and messy, I’m considering replacing it with power-line network adapter – after all, the power outlet is right there.

Ray
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting. We did receive a small number of similar reports of the Tp-Link adapter issues, and we are going to stock some powerline adapters in the near future. Thanks.

piaband
    Participant

Thank you for the extra input from everyone.  I was able to get remote access working, finally.  It ended up being a mistake on my part. I had the app set to connect to my internal IP address.  Obviously, it dawned on me that it is not possible to connect to the internal IP addresses from an outside network.  This is clearly outlined in the video.  I just needed to sit down and re-watch everything all at once.

My new settings are as follows:

On my ASUS RT-N66U router, I have set up as follows:

• Service Name: OpenSprinkler
    • Port Range: 8080
    • Local IP: “O-S static IP address”
    • Local Port: 100
    • Protocol: Both (TCP and UDP)

On my OpenSprinkler app, I have set up as follows:

• IP Address: “ASUS external IP address”:8080

For what its worth, I have my TP-Link router set up in client mode using dynamic DHCP and it seems to work ok.  I have reserved the static IP address on my ASUS router and on my OpenSprinkler.  It seems to work just fine with that setup.

dagst47
    Participant

This is Huge!! I’ve been having the same problem and will check my TPLink config.

Thanks for the post!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Problem updating firmware and Port Forwarding