OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Program Not Starting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

Hi

I’m very new to Opensprinkler but I have managed to get it up an running did the firmware upgrade and installed the opensprinkler onto the retic system.  Although I’m having some connection issues because the opensprinkler is into side a colourbond shed I can get connection and check status and so on.  The issue I’m having is when I try to set a program so that the lawn is automatically watered I get a error for the end time.

I have 12 stations and I want to run them for 54mins starting at 21:00.  I enable the program, select the days I want it to run enter the start time, enter the station time press save, I get the error.  So as a test I created another program starting at 21:00 for 4 stations 54 mins with an end time of 23:59 it save correctly, but the system didn’t turn and water.

I’m get so confused at this point, any help on how to get the programs up and make them turn on would be great.

Paul

Samer
    Keymaster

Welcome to OpenSprinkler!

The issue you are having with the last program you described is likely related to the interval time. This is a required field and setting it to 0 prevents the program from running. For the latest OSPi, if you set the program to run a single time you shouldn’t have the issue or you can use a recurring program with a higher interval value.

In regard to the end time error the first time around, what exactly was the error?

Paul
    Participant

So I had to travel so I pulled the opensprinkler out and re-installed the old.  I have now plugged the OS into my home network and I can see the programs run.  I think the issue was that I needed to set the sprinklers to run sequentially.  When I look at the Home page I don’t see any programs available; I’ve copied in the summary from the programs page for one of the programs I created.

Run: Front Lawn Station 1 Front Lawn Station 2 Front Lawn Station 3 Front Lawn Station 4 Front Lawn Station 5 Dressage Station 6 Mundy Station 7 Jezz Station 8 Side of House Station 9 Side of House Station 10 Winter Paddock Station 11 Bush Paddock Station 12

Starting: 21:00 for 54 mins

I’m having an issue with the power supply that I bought with the opensprinkler, I need to find out if its the supply or the board I’ve plugged in the power supply onto the PI for now to check that it works.

On a separate item I need to run 2 systems from the OS the first is a normal retic system the second is to a float in a tank that has a solenoid and a permanent 24v power to a relay.  Would there be any special set up needed to make this work?

Ray
    Keymaster

@Paul: you asked ‘I need to find out if its the supply or the board I’ve plugged in the power supply onto the PI for now to check that it works.’

If you bought the power supply from us, it’s a 24VAC 750mA transformer. Can you explain what specific issue you have encountered? Is the power supply not sufficient to drive your solenoid?

Your second question is: ‘I need to run 2 systems from the OS the first is a normal retic system the second is to a float in a tank’.

DO you mean run two software systems running on the Pi, or you mean have two hardware systems (one OS, one something else)? If it’s two software systems, you should be able to run them at the same time as the operating system can multitask; if it’s two hardware systems, I will need to know what the second one.

Paul
    Participant

Hi Ray I bought the power supply from Openlab in Perth, when I plug in the micro usb power supply into the PI; the PI fires up and the green light on the opensprinkler board lights up, which indicates that the opensprinkler is working.  I have not checked the power supply to see if the transformer or the connector.

Let me see if I can clarify my reference to 2 systems I have 1 opensprinkler setup (with extension board) that is intended to control the sprinklers (a normal installation of opensprinkler), the 2 system I spoke about is a electronic float in a tank, connected to a relay, energized directly from the 24V transformer and the other side of the relay opens a solenoid with a with a connection to the common wire and pump start.  I can create a diagram or take photos if that helps.

So what happens the float drops and the solenoid opens and then the pump start is triggered and the tank is filled, without turning any of the sprinklers on.  Of course if the sprinklers are on and the tank solenoid is opened the pressure drops on the sprinklers until the float closes again.

The Opensprinkler has been removed because I was traveling and I needed to enable the tank to be filled.

Paul

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi Paul, I still didn’t get a clear sense of what the power supply issue was. Is it that when you plug in 24VAC, the OpenSprinkler fails to power up? Or is it that it powers up but can’t drive solenoids?

Regarding the two systems, it seems to me that the two systems are not electrically connected (other than perhaps sharing the same transformer?) If so, I am pretty sure there is no issue running both at the same time.

Paul
    Participant

Hi Ray Sorry for not replying I have been traveling, it turns out the power supply had stopped working; so I bought another one and the Opensprinkler is working again.

I have attached a wiring diagram of the second system hopefully it makes sense.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Program Not Starting