OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App View logs not displaying any entries

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Ken Thompson
    Participant

Hi there,

When I try to view logs in the mobile app it says there are no entries, despite there being entries that I can view on the full site. I am using OSPi with latest version of both app and mobile app.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ken

Samer
    Keymaster

Sounds just like this issue: https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/log-display/

Could you please update your OSPi to include today’s changes and see if your issues are resolved.

You will likely have to delete the existing log file in order for new entries to work.

Thanks

TechFan
    Participant

So, our logs from last year won’t be able to be pulled up anymore?  I remember there used to be a two week limitation on viewing logs from OS (not Pi) device. . .is that still the case. . .if that is the reason I can’t see any logs, it would be good to have that disclaimer display. . .

Samer
    Keymaster

Not sure what you are talking about. You can view any log from any date the limitation is one year at a time.

In other words you can view 2012-2013 but not 2012-2015.

The users in this thread experienced a bug in OSPi Python program which incorrectly escapes the JSON data causing the app to not read the data. The problem has been fixed but users who already had bad data had to delete the offending lines or simply delete the entire log file.

TechFan
    Participant

Hm.  I must be confused. . .will look back for the thread and related post.  I was sure that with the OS (not Pi), there was a stated limitation that it was only possible to retrieve the logs from a couple weeks back from the SD card. . .

So, should I be able to see my logs from before I upgraded to 2.1.3 yesterday (activity would have been back in September 2014)? I tried just a month period for 9/14-10/14 and didn’t have anything found. . .

TechFan
    Participant

Found it:

https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/email-logs-from-iphoneipad-app/#post-27521

<em style=”border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-weight: inherit; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”> @TechFan wrote:

Got up to date. Nice to be able to export. Any way to export all logs instead of just one week worth?

Sure, just select a wider range. It is exporting the range it’s requesting. For OpenSprinkler on Arduino the limit is in the firmware for one week (otherwise will return 404).

<em style=”border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-weight: inherit; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”> @TechFan wrote:

Btw, missing the red highlighted schedules that help make it clear they are disabled.

Where is this not working exactly?

Samer
    Keymaster

This was an older firmware and the range has been extended to one year for quite a while now. If you are on the latest there should be no reason logs cannot be viewed.

Curiously, do your logs work if you select a smaller range?

Samer
    Keymaster

Also, if you are using Chrome, for example, can you right click on the page and push “Inspect Element” which will open up a extra window with a tab named “Network”.

If you have this open before you open the logs page, you can view the actual output from the controller by finding the URL that starts with: /jl?…

If there is data in the preview or response tabs under that request, then the app is not able to parse the data hence the no logs found (indicating an SD error possibly).

If there is no data from the controller than the app is truly getting no data and the firmware is likely having issues finding the log files for that time range. If this is the case, if you pop out the SD can you find the log files for that day? There will be a log file for each individual day that’s named for the minute value at the start of the day (epoch / 60).

Thanks

TechFan
    Participant

I’ll check from home.  Not sure why I am not able to remotely connect today. . .haven’t tried since upgrade last night (2.0.9 to 2.1.3), but my router port forwarding hasn’t changed (high port)

aruzsi
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t have SD card installed in my Sprinkler. Can I see the log?

Because my log said always no log entries in the given interval. I started one valve by hand and nothing in the log.

TIA,

BTW: How can I copy&paste anything from the Spinkler’s WEB page?

Samer
    Keymaster

The SD card is required for logging data as the Arduino does not otherwise have space to store log information.

The app doesn’t let you copy paste however your welcome to attach a screenshot.

aruzsi
    Participant

OK and thanks.

Tomorrow I’ll put into a 1GB mSD card.

TechFan
    Participant

I was able to connect directly with Chrome from away, but the app isn’t connecting with the same settings??  Tried pulling up logs, but failed.  I’ll need to pull out the SD card to make sure the files are still there.  It still should be able to read old log files right?

Samer
    Keymaster

Are you able to add the site without any errors?

Does the connection process take a while before it fails? If so, the app has a more aggressive timeout duration as compared to the direct connection. If the connection is poor and taking longer than 6 seconds to complete this could be the cause of the problem regarding the app. Let me know so we can adjust this value.

The logs fail to come up (aka error) or it says no logs for selected entry? Let us know once you have loaded the SD into a computer so we can identify where the error is.

Thanks!

TechFan
    Participant

It doesn’t take a long time to load in the remote webpage.  It fails on phone app.

Btw, there are lots of log files, but it appears you may have moved them to a subfolder called logs because that folder only has the most recent few days in it.  I tried to copy the files from the root of the SD into the Logs folder, but it still isn’t finding them.  First time it give me message that error occurred and after refresh it says it can’t find any logs.  I made a copy of the contents of the SD, so I can work with the files and still keep the OS logging.  What do you need me to look for? 16344.txt exists. . .what date is that supposed to be?

Samer
    Keymaster

Ah okay yes, an older firmware logged to the root directory of the SD but we did change this to a sub directory.

Like I said earlier the file name is the epoch time of the day divided by 60. So you can multiply it by 60 and you will have the time in seconds since January 1, 1970.

As to why moving them didn’t work, I am not sure but since it sounds like a firmware thing maybe Ray can chime in.

Ray
    Keymaster

Older versions of the firmware store the log files in root directory, more recent ones stores them in a folder called LOGS (in order to get files better organized).

TechFan
    Participant

Any idea why the Gui isn’t finding the files if I copied to that sub folder?

TechFan
    Participant

I am still a bit confused by  your explanation of the date. . .not sure how multiplying by 60 gives me the time in seconds.  . .I suspect you meant, multiplying by 60 x 60 x 24 will give me the time in seconds. . .so that file I provided should have been for 9/30/14.  The webpage does not find any logs for that date.

Btw, I reset the OS app being allowed to access cellular data. . .and now it seems to be working.  I was able to use the web version on my phone. . .so decided it must be the app itself.  Somehow, even though it was set to allow, it wasn’t allowing. . .

Ray
    Keymaster

To clarify, each log file is named by a number that’s the epoch time divided by 86400 (the number of seconds in a day). The epoch time counts the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970, so that divided by 86400 gives the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. For example, the log data of Apr 20, 2015 would be stored in a file named 16545.txt.

TechFan
    Participant

Yes, I think I got the formula correct.  The file does exist.  When I set the criteria down to a few days, I actually got it to work just now. . .started giving me trouble with the same error sequence at a window of 3 weeks of data.

Samer
    Keymaster

This could be an issue with latency. The Arduino is very slow at reading the SD and likely the app is timing out the attempt.

The direct IP method has no time out so see if this works any better?

Also glad you figured out the conversion because I was wrong.

TechFan
    Participant

That was using the IP of my OS in a browser on my computer, not the app.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App View logs not displaying any entries