OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Weather Adjustment Not Changing over 2 weeks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Phil Maron
    Participant

I have set up weather adjustment to use the Zimmerman formula but I noticed over a two week period that the percentage did not change. This is despite weather conditions having changed from temperatures in the high teens to low 20’s with some rain to the present where temperatures were in the low to mid 30’s for the past 2 days. The watering percentage over that time did not change from 9%. As a test, I have tried an alternative location for Wunderground but the percentage still did not change from 9%. I then changed weather control to use manual adjustment and set it to 50% which was fine yesterday but today I set it back to the Zimmerman formula and the percentage still shows 50%. I experimented with a few different percentages using the manual method but when I changed it back to the Zimmerman formula the percentage remained at whatever I had set manually.

Any help in troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Samer
    Keymaster

That’s very odd. It shouldn’t be the same and the first thing you can try is the weather underground diagnostics button on the side panel. This will let you know if correct data is being returned (same data used to calculate Zimmerman scale).

Phil Maron
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Samer. Yes I have checked the diagnostics and different values are being returned every day except for the percentage which never changes. In order to check it I set it to 50% manually yesterday and then reverted back to using the Zimmerman formula. It still reads 50%.

P.S. This morning I have reset the device to factory defaults and gone through the setup process from scratch but I am still not confident. I set it up for Melbourne, Australia and it immediately set the percentage to 19%. To test whether it was now working I changed the location to Darwin, Australia where the weather would be about as different as you could get but the percentage remained at 19%. It seems to me that it will adjust the percentage on initial setup but not again after that.

Ray
    Keymaster

Every time you change the location the controller needs 10 to 15 seconds (sometimes up to a minute) to obtain weather data and update the water percentage. So you won’t see the updated value immediately, but usually after a minute or two it should update.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Thanks Ray but I don’t think this explains the issue. To test, I noted the current watering percentage when set to Melbourne, Australia as 19%. I then changed the location under Edit Options -> Location to Darwin, Australia and clicked “Submit”. I then logged out for an hour before logging back in. I then checked that WUnderground diagnostics and noted the following:

Min Humidity: 33%

Max Humidity: 94%

Mean Temp: 84 Deg Farenheit

Precip Yesterday: 0.00

Precip Today: 0.00

Current Percent Watering: 19% 

Note that the percentage is still the same as it was when set for Melbourne yet the humidity and temperature readings are significantly different. The stats for Melbourne show:

Min Humid: 31%

Max Humid: 94%

Mean Temp: 58 Deg F

Precip Yesterday: 0.00

Precip Today: 0.00

Current % Watering: 19%

Ray
    Keymaster

Here is quick question: after changing to ‘Darwin, Australia’, can you reboot the controller and see if the water percentage changes to something other than 19%?

Phil Maron
    Participant

Clearly we have the same thought process Ray as I have already tried that to no avail a number of times. The percentage does not change. What seems odd is that it most certainly seems to be obtaining valid stats however, it seems unable to convert them to a meaningful percentage. It seems to somehow be cached or something and unable to be refreshed.

Ray
    Keymaster

To make sure this is not your browser cache the result, can you try the following url:
    http://x.x.x.x/jo?pw=your_os_password
    where x.x.x.x is your OpenSprinkler’s IP address, and your_os_password is your OpenSprinkler’s password. Look for the variable named “wl”, and also the variable named “uwt”, what are their values?

Phil Maron
    Participant

I think that’s unlikely since I have used a number of browsers from a number of computers but what is returned is the following:

“wl”:19

“uwt”:1

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, both match my output. I then changed the location to “Darwin,Australia” and after a minute or two, the “wl” changed to 122. You can try it and if you still see 19, I suspect there is a caching issue somewhere — in other words, the controller sends out a query with the new location, but instead of reaching the server, that query may be immediately returned by your router or some intermediate server with cached results. This is really very rare but it’s the only thing I can think of.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Thanks Ray, I will try resetting my router and see if it makes any difference. In case it’s relevant, I have set my device to run on port 84 so if that fails I’ll try setting it back to port 80.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Resetting the router had no effect but setting the port to 80 did. I will try experimenting with a few other ports and see if there is a similar issue.

Phil Maron
    Participant

OK, from testing a few ports I have found that the only workable option is to use port 80. This is fine as a short term solution but does not allow me to manage watering from remote locations as my router’s port forwarding capabilities are restricted to redirecting a port to an IP address. Have you got any suggestions as to what I could try?

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, that’s an interesting discovery — I had not thought about changing the port number would affect the weather script. I will check this tomorrow.

For port forwarding: external port number does not have to match the device port number. For example, you can tell the router to map external port 8080 to OpenSprinkler’s port 80. So when you are out of your home network, use http://wan_ip:8080 and the router will map that to http://os_ip:80

Phil Maron
    Participant

OK, I hadn’t realised that. I had always assumed that the source and destination port must be the same. I’ll give it a try. Thanks again for the help

Phil Maron
    Participant

Apparently not with my router 🙁

It just times out! My router provides only for source start and end ports but not destination ports and seems to require that source and destination are identical.

Ray
    Keymaster

I can confirm that when http port number is changed, the firmware stops receiving weather data. This is due to a bug that uses the controller’s port number when sending query to weather.opensprinkler.com, causing the query to fail. A fix will be provided as soon as possible. In the meantime, please keep OpenSprinkler’s port to the default 80, and as I said for port forwarding the external port number can be a different number. Thanks.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Thanks Ray. Will this be a firmware fix or something in the remote UI which if I understand it correctly is hosted elsewhere?

Ray
    Keymaster

This will have to be a firmware fix. We will be releasing an updated firmware very soon. Thanks.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Once again thanks for your assistance Ray.

Ray
    Keymaster

Coming back to this thread: the issue of weather data not updating (when port number is not 80) is now fixed in firmware 2.1.1. Thanks.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Thanks again Ray. I upgraded on the weekend and it now appears to be working quite well. I am interested in one other thing to do with this new firmware though. I now have the ability to log the weather calculations but I haven’t found anywhere in the interface where they are shown or graphed. Am I missing something?

Samer
    Keymaster

The log page on the UI has not been updated yet however the feature is complete but being tested. It will be released this week.

Phil Maron
    Participant

OK. No problem Samer. Just wondered if I was missing something.

Cheers,

Phil

dman
    Participant

Ray, I am having a similar issue. I can’t connect to my Opensprinkler remotely, and the weather adjustment isn’t changing. My device is hardware version 2.2, app version 1.2.8, running 2.1.2 firmware. I previously has an earlier version of Opensprinkler and it worked fine. I use dynamic DNS and port fowarding. This is working fine for other devices on my home network. I’ve even set it up as port 80 as well on my external interfact (ie external IP port 80 mapping to Opensprinkler port 80. I’ve seen a few threads saying this is fixed, and also that multiples of 3 programs may cause issues. I had 3 program, but added a fourth (inactive) one and are still seeing issues. Don’t know what to try next….
    Cheers, dman

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Weather Adjustment Not Changing over 2 weeks