OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Why IPv6 only? And how to set it up?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JimS
    Participant

Can someone explain why OSPi uses IPv6 exclusively? And what I need to do to my IPv4 network to make things work properly for external (internet) connection? I have older routers and doubt they even support IPv6…

I know very little about IPv6 but it seems to me that the need for it on a local network just isn’t there. I have plenty of addresses for all my devices and most don’t need external addresses. Seems like this should be an option for those that want it rather than a requirement.

What’s the most recent version that doesn’t require IPv6?

Where in the manuals is info on the IPv6 requirements and setup?

bjcatlin
    Participant

I’ve looked through the OpenSprinkler code, and I don’t see anything that requires IPv6. I’m running the latest firmware on my RPI, and both IPv4 and IPv6 work perfectly. If you are just running “netstat -a” and seeing that OpenSprinkler is listening only on TCP6, then that seems to be more of a netstat display issue, as it is indeed listening on both IPv6 and IPv4 (at least on my RPI it is like this).

Ray
    Keymaster

@JimS: I don’t know who told you it’s IPv6 exclusively. It’s not, it’s dual IPv4 and IPv6. See what I said here:
    https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/ospi-site-cant-be-reached-on-port-8080/#post-47957

bjcatlin
    Participant

After further digging through the code, I can see one way that the OpenSprinkler firmware might be listening on IPv6 only. If you check the contents of the file /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only and it is a “1”, then the OpenSprinkler code would need to bind to IPv4 and IPv6 separately, which I don’t see it doing. This very possibly could lead to an IPv6 only situation. But if the value of bindv6only is a “0”, which it should be in most situations, then the linux kernel takes care of mapping IPv4 packets in to the IPv6 space, and so the single binding is all that is needed for both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic.

So in summary, if you type the following:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only
    and you get a 0 back, then your installation will work for both IPv4 and IPv6.

I hope this helps…

JimS
    Participant

Ray,

I was basing the IPv6 only off a statement in the tread you referenced. It seemed a bit strange that such would be the case and I see you have posted in that thread to set the record straight. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Why IPv6 only? And how to set it up?