OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Wrong Time after DST Change

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author

sgruby
    Participant

This morning I went to check on my sprinklers (hardware 2.1 with a newly upgraded 2.1.0 firmware) and the clock says it is 1 hour before it should be. I have the location set correctly and NTP sync, but can’t get the time correct in the UI. The time on the LCD is correct, but in the web UI it is wrong.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or is it a firmware bug?

BTW thanks for the firmware update, especially being able to name programs!

Ray
    Keymaster

Sorry, deleting my previous post — just re-read your message, you said the LCD displays the correct time, that means the firmware is working fine. It’s potentially a UI issue. Can you refresh the webpage, or if using app, quit the app and restart it and see if it gets the correct time?

sgruby
    Participant

Hi Ray,

I’ve rebooted a few times already. The LCD shows the correct time; the UI shows 1 hour before the correct time. When I rebooted and looked at the options, the time zone was set correctly to -0800 (it was -0700 yesterday).

The UI is definitely confused because I have my sprinklers come on at 7 am and they just came on (7 am), but UI says 6 am. I double checked the programs and they all start at 7 am.

vinny
    Participant

I am seeing the same issues.

Ray
    Keymaster

I wonder if this might be a browser cache issue. Can you try a different browser, or on a different computer and see if it makes any difference?

As something interesting I just learned yesterady: within the US, Hawaii and Arizona actually don’t observe DST — but Arizona is more complicated, because there are regions in Arizona that do observe DST: http://phoenix.about.com/cs/weather/qt/timezone.htm. I don’t know why DST is still a thing, in my opinion we should stop using DST 🙂

sgruby
    Participant

Bingo! I switched to Chrome (from Safari) and it shows the correct time. Thanks for the quick response.

I agree completely with DST being a pain; I wrote sync software for Palm OS devices back in the day and calendaring was a royal pain. It got a little better when the DST info was included in the calendar entries, but when the DST rules changed, it was a nightmare.

vinny
    Participant

worked for me too.

sgruby
    Participant

Oddly enough, this might be a Safari/WebKit issue. I cleared cache/cookies/etc. in Safari and the time is wrong. I also used the OpenSprinkler app on the Mac with the same wrong time. I tried with 2 iPhones and an iPad; all had the wrong time. I tried another Mac that had never hit the website and had the wrong time. So I wonder if it is a Safari issue. Thoughts?

vinny
    Participant

I think that this is a Safari (Javascript core issue). there are some posts on the net about the javascript engine (on the mac) not handling dst properly.

my router webpage has the same issue in safari, but not in chrome. both chrome and safari use webkit, but the difference is that google did there own javascript interpreter (I am not 100% sure but i think that is the issue)

Ray
    Keymaster

The UI is supposed to use the device time (i.e. what the firmware reports) and should not be using the browser or computer’s time, for the simple reason that if you are accessing OpenSprinkler remotely from a different time zone the UI should still show OpenSprinkler’s time.

@sgruby
    : I tried Safari on OSX and iPad, both showing the time correctly. So unfortunately I can’t reproduce the issue…

sgruby
    Participant

Anything you can suggest to help troubleshoot this? I haven’t put in a MicroSD card for logging, yet, but will do that today.

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

For the moment can you use Chrome? Also, if you can report your Safari’s version and your OSX version, that can help us reproduce the issue.

I am working with Samer to figure out the issue, it seems to have to do with Javascript engine as vinny suggested.

sgruby
    Participant

Not a problem at all; I can also just remember that the time is off 🙂

Ray
    Keymaster

In the meantime, this is a very entertaining video to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84aWtseb2-4

can’t help laughing towards the end.

sgruby
    Participant

So odd; I just pulled my unit off the wall, put in a MicroSD card, put it all back and now the correct time is showing on all my devices and in Safari. Strange.

In any case, thanks for the quick response and the video!

vinny
    Participant

I just checked mine again too. and everything looks good.

Bet it was some sort of caching bug, and the cache has cleared.

automate
    Participant

My LCD, computer (Chrome), and IPhone shows an hour later than local time.

I am using NTP sync. I can set it manually and it shows correct on all devices, but put it back to NTP and it is off 1 hour. I am in California, the whole state is DST.

Ray
    Keymaster

This year’s DST has ended on Nov 2. Are you sure you are looking at the correct time?

automate
    Participant

in current status, at the top of the screen is reads “Thr, 06 Nov 2014 20:49:06”. The time on the computer and all the clocks in the house read 7:49. What am I missing?

Ray
    Keymaster

What’s your location? I tried several cities that I can think of in California and they all returned the correct time.

automate
    Participant

San Bernardino, 92410

Is there a place to turn DST on / off?

automate
    Participant

I have tried Sacramento, Redding, los Angeles, They all return 1 hour AHEAD of local time. What can be wrong with my system?

My local time is 10:00, Open Sprinkler says it is 23:00

Ray
    Keymaster

To make sure I understand the issue: are you using Firmware 2.1.0? Auto-DST detection is only made available in Firmware 2.1.0. If you have earlier firmware versions, you will need to manually change the time zone to adjust the time. To check firmware version, in the web UI, click on the icon at the upper-left corner to bring out the sidebar, then click on About. It will show you the firmware version.

automate
    Participant

Ray
    Keymaster

You said your location is ‘San Bernardino, 92410’, is this the exact string you put in to your location input box? I don’t think this is a location recognizable by the firmware, it should be either:
    San Bernardino, CA
    or
    I tried 92410 and it works on my OpenSprinkler.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Wrong Time after DST Change